12 Incredible Uses for Hemp Seed Oil
What if there was a natural product that was so versatile that you could eat it raw to boost digestive health, heart health, brain health, reduce inflammation and improve chronic skin conditions? Or apply it topically for soft skin, acne relief, and to promote collagen production? If you’re thinking CBD, you’d be wrong (although CBD also boasts a long list of incredible of uses). We are talking about Hemp Seed Oil – readily available in your local grocer and available wholesale from us!
While this article focuses on the benefits of Hemp Seed Oil for human consumption, we could write an encyclopedia of other uses including pet food supplements, animal feeds, along with sustainable industrial applications for paint, varnishes, sealants, lubricants, inks and even plastics.
So, What’s The Difference Between Hemp Seed Oil and CBD Oil?
At Blue Sky Hemp Ventures, our Hemp Seed Oil and CBD Oil are both extracted from sustainably farmed, industrial hemp – derived from the Cannabis sativa plant. However, a hemp plant contains less than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) – the primary psychoactive compound responsible for the high sensation associated with using cannabis.
CBD Oil is produced by an extraction process from the leaves and flowers of the cannabis plant, which contains high quantities of CBD – known for its medicinal and therapeutic benefits – but still won’t get you high. CBD oil is legal in Canada, but highly regulated and can only be purchased through licensed producers. Blue Sky expects to be fully licensed in the coming weeks. (More on that soon!)
In contrast, Hemp Seed Oil is produced by cold pressing the seeds of the plant and not the flower and leaves. Therefore, Hemp Seed Oil typically contains no THC or CBD (cannabidiol) at all, but still possesses a host of health benefits and can be easily sourced and purchased in shops, online and through wholesale producers like Blue Sky.
Not to be confused with Hemp Oil – which is another name for both CBD Oil and Hemp Seed Oil . Got it?
Benefits of Consuming Hemp Seed Oil
The title of this section makes hemp oil seem like a hard pill to swallow, but really it’s anything but. Hemp Seed Oil is in fact very tasty and should really be viewed as a pantry cupboard staple with the toiletries cabinet benefits.
Hemp Seed Oil contains high levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids in the perfect 3:1 omega-6 to omega-3 ratio which can help the body metabolize fat (if you’re into that sort of thing).
Studies suggest that the rich nutrient profile of Hemp Seed Oil provides the following benefits when taken orally:
- Promotes Heart Health: High levels of omega-6 and omega-3 in the ratio 3:1. These essential fatty acids reduce cholesterol levels in the blood due to their β-sitosterols content and that helps prevent heart disease. Gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) in Hemp Seed Oil is known to reduce inflammation which prevents the type of heart disease that is usually caused by inflammation.
- It’s an Immune System Booster: The essential fatty acids in Hemp Seed Oil are required by the body to synthesize endocannabinoids whose function is to strengthen the immune system. That makes it a good idea to regularly take Hemp Seed Oil as an immune-enhancing supplement.
- Hormone Balancing: Scientists have found out that the GLA found in Hemp Seed Oil may improve hormone health and reduce symptoms associated with PMS such as menstrual cramps. It can also improve hormone health in older women going through menopause and reduce their symptoms such as hot flashes, irritability, and depression. Studies show that supplementation with fatty acid GLA does not cause any side effects.
HOW TO Consume Hemp Seed Oil:
Take 1 to 2 teaspoons daily – either all at one time or divided into two doses.
As a culinary ingredient: Use as a cold culinary oil. It can be added to salads, sauces, soups, pestos, smoothies and more. Here are some tasty ideas:
Hemp Seed Oil Works Topically Too. Just Rub It In.
If our list of oral nutritional benefits isn’t quite enough, then read on. Hemp Seed Oil can also be used topically for even more remarkable uses.
9. Shiny Hair and Enhanced Hair Growth: The essential fatty acids in Hemp Seed Oil can strengthen brittle hair strands and add shine and moisture to the hair while promoting thicker hair growth. There is also subjective evidence suggesting that applying the oil on the scalp can reduce scalp problems including dryness, itchiness, and dandruff and will possibly treat scalp psoriasis.
10. For Stronger Nails: Massage into nails for faster growth, stronger nails, cuticle repair, and soft hands and feet.
11. For Healthy Skin Treatment: A great skin moisturizer, Hemp Seed Oil is easily absorbed by the skin and helps to prevent moisture loss. Perfect for most skin types, it moisturizes without clogging your pores and can help to balance out oily skin, while regulating the skin’s oil production. Hemp seed oil can help reduce fine lines and wrinkles, promote collagen production, and fight the signs of aging.
12. For Treatment of Chronic Skin Conditions: Hemp Seed Oil is also known to relieve acne, psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema, and itchy skin and with consistent use, it can improve the skin’s general appearance. Applied topically, the oil can also help strengthen the skin and help it resist viral, fungal, and bacterial infections.
HOW TO use Hemp Seed Oil Topically:
Hemp Oil is suitable for all skin types, including oily skin. It is particularly beneficial for those with dry or mature skin.
Highly versatile, Hemp Seed Oil can be easily incorporated in various formulations for cosmetic products, as well as at-home beauty and skincare remedies. Look out for hemp-based shampoos, soaps, lip balms and topical creams, and more. Or apply Hemp Seed Oil directly to the skin as a makeup remover, as a skin moisturizer, or cleanser.
- Massage a few drops over a cleansed and moisturized face, for a DIY facial serum.
- Apply after bathing or showering as a body oil.
- Use as a carrier oil in aromatherapy.
- Massage into nails and cuticles after removing nail polish
Hemp Seed Oil is some pretty powerful stuff whether taken orally or topically. And by the way, you’ll also get a lot of the topical benefits – strong nails, healthy skin, nourished hair – by ingesting Hemp Seed Oil regularly.
With the passing of the US’s 2018 Farm Bill, legalizing hemp production, we’re only just getting to know hemp and all of its seemingly magical properties. As more research is conducted, expect to see more and more hemp-based product in the grocery aisle, in the pharmacy and in the cosmetics department. Or keep it simple – buy cold-pressed Hemp Seed Oil in its natural state for an extremely cost-effective salad dressing, face-cream, anti-inflammatory, shampoo, or cuticle cream today.
Blue Sky Hemp Ventures has invested in a first-of-its-kind, the end-to-end system allows us to harness the full value of the grain for superfoods, flower for CBD extraction and the stalks for a wide variety of sustainable industrial products whilst adhering to the most rigorous QA standards in the business. These efficiencies enable us to deliver high-quality hemp food, hemp biomass and CBD extracts at a lower cost to customers and our planet with a zero-carbon footprint. If you’re interested in working with Blue Sky to source high quality, sustainably sourced hemp food ingredients book a call to discuss how we can help.